July 3, 2008

Cappadocia


We stayed in Aravan Evi Family Hotel Ayvali http://www.aravan.com/ , a small village about 20 minutes from Urgup central. It is a traditional Turkish village-style hotel and restaurant. It was built and hand-crafted with the natural stone of Cappadocia.

We immediately fell in love with Ayvali and Aravan Evi, quiet and peaceful....away from the hustle and bustle of town. The hotel is nice and rooms beautifully decorated. Even the bathroom was impressive, made of marble from top to bottom.

After a delightful breakfast, consist of cheese, olives, home-made strawberry and apricot jams, smoked meat, honey and bread....yes, yummmy....my sister and brother-in-law went on a day tour around Cappadocia while I planned on going to town. It was my 5th time in Cappadocia so I didn't feel like going on the tour again. Okan, the owner's son, told me that I could take a dolmus (shared taxi) to town. It cost me about 4YTL for the joyful ride with the other villagers. The dolmus was filled to the brim....grannies and grandads, mums and small kids...all looking forward to go to the bazaar, apparently held every saturday of the week in town. I was so looking forward to the shopping.

You could get everything that you need at the bazaar....from fruits to meat, from socks to undies, plants to tools....you name it and they've got it. I got some turkish scarves with embroideries at the sides for myself. And after walking around for about an hour and a half, enjoying the colours of the people of Cappadocia, I went to the shops along the bus terminal. I totally enjoyed myself looking at stuff....the shops were like treasure coves.....beautiful antique jewellery, hand-made carpets, hand-made silver earrings.....shopping haven.

After shopping, I went to a nice looking restaurant at the corner and had two lahmacun http://www.anatoliarestaurant.com/ and an ayran for lunch....so sedappp.
Ajeeen
Travelogue-Turkey Cappadocia

No comments: